Click to subscribe to the Gathering blog

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Gazing into the Abyss - Christian Wiman

From The American Scholar quarterly.
Though I was raised in a very religious household, until about a year ago I hadn’t been to church in any serious way in more than 20 years. It would be inaccurate to say that I have been indifferent to God in all that time. If I look back on the things I have written in the past two decades, it’s clear to me not only how thoroughly the forms and language of Christianity have shaped my imagination, but also how deep and persistent my existential anxiety has been. I don’t know whether this is all attributable to the century into which I was born, some genetic glitch, or a late reverberation of the Fall of Man. What I do know is that I have not been at ease in this world...
Read more here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home